Tips and Tricks for Hair Success

7:36 PM


My Hair Story

Until I was 14, I basically did nothing with my hair. I let my natural curls go wild and I never colored it. '

When I entered high school I started curling/straightening my hair on a daily basis. This was partially because stick straight hair was in style, but also because I felt I needed to contain my curly mufasa like hair.

Color Change in 2016

February 2016

July 2016

October 2016

 When I was 18, I colored my hair for the first time. Since then, I have styled my hair daily and colored it often (at first it was every 6 months, but since I started my balayage, I get my coloring done monthly). 

So maybe at this point you're asking "Is your hair really unhealthy? With all of that coloring and heat styling, isn't your hair fried and dry?"

The answer to that is yes/no. 

Yes my hair is damaged, any amount of heat styling or bleaching is going to ruin your hair, but there are products I use to keep my hair looking healthy and help restore it at least a little bit. 

Different Styles



That brings me to the newest section of my hair story: my trip to India in January. With adapters that will fry my styling products, I have recently had to learn how to style my hair without the help of a straightener or curling iron. 
Due to my personal frustration with figuring out what to do with my damaged hair, I wanted to give you a few tips and tricks on how to keep your hair healthy, no matter how you style it! 



Hair Care Options

Hair care is not a one time, one product situation. My first bit of advice would be to use coconut oil in your hair before you take a shower. Start with the ends, they will have the most damage. Go as far up the hair as you wish, but avoid the scalp because your hair will appear greasy after you wash it. Coconut oil has many benefits, not only for hair, but for skin and your health as well. 


A second option is using some sort of argon oil on your hair. This allows your hair to soak up moisture post shower.


Finally, when using heat products, do use a spray that protects from heat. Using a heat tool will ruin your hair, simple as that, but putting as much protection into your hair care routine as possible is the difference between an unhealthy and healthy mane.

Styling Options

In the end, nothing is going to be better than styling your hair without heat. Styles like the braids above, a messy topknot or leaving your hair down and natural are not only time saving but rehabilitating for your hair. 

If you relate to struggling with styling your hair naturally or have any other tips or tricks, leave a comment below!

Connect with me! Follow The Sweltering Sweater on Instagram!

You Might Also Like

0 comments