New-Fashioned Nerd

4:47 PM

Nerd: /nurd/ a single-minded expert in a particular field.

In "old-fashioned" terms (aka when I was younger, aka the late 90's/early 2000's) a nerd was an anti-social outcast who liked books more than they liked people. A nerd was not something you wanted to be and you definitely didn't hang out with them, or at least you didn't if you cared about your social standing - which, unfortunately, at a younger age I did. 


But within the last few years, being a nerd has become vogue. Reading books, listening to remixed underground jazz and having an overall love for knowledge now makes you cool. I'm especially overjoyed at this because the older I get, the less I care about where I fit in the social scale and have been able to learn more about whatever subject interests me. 


At this current time, sustainable fashion and the slow fashion movement are my passion. I've started following and learning from sustainable fashion bloggers, I listen to the Conscious Chatter Podcast and I have an ever growing list of companies that have started initiatives that benefit their workers, their companies, the planet and their consumers. 


Some may call me a nerd, some may call me a tree hugger, but I'm proud of my new-fashion ideals. It inspires me to make the world better for the future and it's a challenge to find places that fit to my ideals. 


So nerd alert, the new Kaylie is here to stay and I'm wearing this sweater loud and proud. 


You Might Also Like

0 comments