Travel Tips and Tricks

4:51 PM

Hello friends! I'm currently waiting at my gate at the MSP airport to take a flight to San Francisco and I thought this would be a perfect time to sit and type out this post.

I've flown many times for family vacations and for my class trip to India back in January, but I've never flown by myself before, so it's new and exciting and also somewhat terrifying.


Anyway, in my experience with flying, these four points have been crucial for me and hopefully they will be helpful for you.

1. Plan Ahead.
If you're anything like me, you constantly fight the desire to procrastinate. Thankfully I have a mother who does not have one procrastinating bone in her body and she's taught me well.

Flight travel takes a lot of planning ahead:
You need to plan out what you will wear for your trip a few days ahead so you can plan for laundry.

You need to print tickets out the night before (or 24 hours before your flight) and register a checked bag so you can move through the airport at a quicker pace.

If you are getting a ride from a friend, you need to reconfirm your drop off time and make corrections as you get closer to the fight. If you are not able to get a ride, you should go to the airport a few days ahead and maneuver your way through parking, riding a tram and finding where you need to check in so you're not lost and stressed the day of.


2. Think Layered and Comfortable.
I know that some of us desire to be able to breeze through the airport looking effortless like a model, but most often comfort is most important when flying. Of course, this references clothing choice (do comfortable pants and a light sweater or layer your tops for different temperatures), but this can also include keeping your hair out of your face (Pro-tip: don't clip your hair or pull your hair back at the nape of your neck because it makes it harder to lay back and relax on the plane. In this post, I pinned my hair back with bobby pins and that will allow me to lean against the chair without having something stabbing my head), or this could also mean wearing glasses instead of contacts because of the dry airplane atmosphere.


3. Save Yourself From Sore Feet.
Continuing with point number 2, do not wear shoes that are uncomfortable. Nothing is worse than watching some poor woman run through the airport in her heels that are breaking her feet with every step. Airports require a lot of leg work and comfort should come before style. If you need to be properly dressed when you arrive at your destination, pack heels or nice shoes in your carry on and put them on when your flight arrives at its destination.


Also, if you are going on an extended flight (like 6+ hours), please remember to have shoes that allow for extra room. When you're sitting for that long, your feet have a tendency to swell and tight shoes will only get more uncomfortable and swelled feet and legs can actually lead to health problems.

4. Keep Yourself Occupied.
If you're reading this blog, then you are most likely 18-24 years old (according to Instagram insights), so make sure you bring items to keep you occupied during the flight. Whether it be a book, music, homework or a game, keep yourself entertained and don't be that 20 year old who relies on other people to help make the flight fun.


Well that's it, my lovely readers, see you in California! 

Pictures done by Annis Nelson.

You Might Also Like

0 comments